Sunday, January 9, 2011

National Lampoon Comic Shoot

A couple months ago I visited National Lampoon's Underground Comedy Club on A1A in Fort Lauderdale Beach. My friend's band, "Swoop" was playing a music gig so I managed to listen to a few routines of comics and was highly impressed. It was open mic which added an extra touch of mediocrity. I enjoyed the talent and their hard work with the fairly unreceptive audience of a typical open mic anywhere you go, these artists felt passion for making people laugh. No matter what standards were swept under the rug. Of course I had the brilliant idea of brushing elbows and chatting up the manager of the club about the promotional efforts to bring more people in. We had an awesome conversation which led to a good response when I made inquiry of setting up a photo shoot with any volunteer comics who needed material. This was merely a test shoot on location for me. Side lit with a couple ProFoto monolights, that's it! ! ! The three dudes that volunteered were quite capable of creating hysteria. I had trouble framing shots after awhile because I couldn't stop cracking up. To say the least I got some killer test shots at the small cost of conversation with a cool manager and a few quick edit CD's. It was awesome. I love my job!


No comments:

Post a Comment